Tommy Lee Smith

Tommy Lee Smith (Phoenix Hagen) 90% Of Life Happens And The Other 10% Is How You Handle It

Tommy Lee Smith is a 34 year old 207cm forward from Phoenix, Arizona that has been a professional basketball player since 2003 and currently playing with Phoenix Hagen. He played at Arizona State from 1999-2003 playing a total of 122 NCAA games and as a senior played : 32 games: 11.2ppg, 6.2rpg, 2.7apg, BlockPac-10-1(2.2bpg), FGP: 49.3%, 3PT: 27.8%, FT: 57.4%: Finished his career with 1,123 points, 20th on the Sun Devil career scoring list and second leading shot blocker with 167. In 2003 he was drafted by the Chicago Bulls (NBA,2rd(53). He started his professional basketball career in 2003 with KK Split (Croatia-A1): ULEB Cup: 10 games: 12,4ppg, 6.2rpg, 1.2apg, 1.9spg, 1.7bpg; Adriatic League: 24 games: 9.9ppg, 6.1rpg, 1.1apg, 1.5spg. In the 2004-2005 season he played for the Yakima Sun Kings (CBA) playing 14 games: 13.4ppg, 6.0rpg, 2.4apg, 1.4spg, 2.1bpg, FGP: 55.5%, 3Pts: 25%. IN 2005 he came to Germany and played for the Artland Dragons until 2007. He then played for Al Jalaa Aleppo (Syria-D1) and Liaoning Panpan Hunters (China-CBA). After a two year break from basketball he returned in 2011 and played for the Dakota Wizards (D-League): 40 games: 7.6ppg, 5.0rpg, 1.1spg, 1.2bpg, FGP: 55.0%, FT: 53.2%. In the 2012-2013 season he played for the Santa Cruz Warriors (D-League), in Jan.’13 signed at Fort Wayne Mad Ants (D-League) playing 31 games: 6.7ppg, 5.5rpg, 1.5apg, 1.5bpg, FGP: 56.5%, FT: 47.2%. Two seasons ago he played for Al Shamal (Qatar-D1): 16 games 10.7ppg, 6.3rpg, 2.3apg, 1.1spg, FGP: 52.8%, FT: 28.8%. He spoke to German Hoops about basketball.

Tommy thanks for talking to German Hoops. Before we talk about basketball I have to get something off my chest. I always think of Motley Crew drummer Tommy Lee when I read your name. Does that thought ever cross your mind when you read your name somewhere?

It does cross my mind at times and people do bring it up on occasion. But to be honest I don´t think of Tommy Lee, but more of his ex wife Pamela Lee. I wasn´t big on Motley Crue.

Your back in Germany playing for Phoenix Hagen. It has been 8 years since you left the Artland Dragons. How has the country and its basketball changed the most in this time?

So much has changed since I played for the Artland Dragons. Back in 2006 all teams were stacked with good players, but like everywhere else basketball has become better. In Germany it is more athletic and physical. I also think that the pace is faster like in the States. As a country it reminds me a lot of home. In Artland it was a small village and all Germans, but in Hagen I hear many different languages like in Phoenix.

(more…)